Opals are rather unique gemstones. They definitely don’t resemble many of the traditional gemstones we’re most familiar with and they look like you’re staring into a crystal ball. Come learn how to predict the future (your happiness) with opal facts and knowledge.
- Rulers and royalty often wore the opals to guard their power and ensure their safety. These stones were placed in their crowns to protect themselves from enemies and ward off evil. Would you believe, opals were even ground up and consumed to protect an individual from nightmares and evil spirits! Now opals are known to bring about happiness and confidence for the wearer.
- Opals are most commonly found in white, however within these white opals there is a rainbow-like iridescence which changes the colours that appear in the stone depending on the angle it is viewed at giving the opal a crystal ball look. This is called the ‘Play of colour’, which is stronger, the better the opal.
- There are other different types of opals which you probably didn’t know about. Mainly you can find opals in white, but you may find black opals, fire opals and crystal opals. Both the white and black variety have the play of colour attribute, but fire opals do not.
- Opal is around a 5.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, which is quite soft. So, you should be extra careful with it, as the softer opals can be porous. Do not use any harsh chemicals to clean it, simply wipe with a damp cloth. If you will not be wearing your opal jewellery for a while, store it in a small plastic bag with a wet napkin so it doesn’t dry out and crack.
- Opals on Mars: Several years ago in 2008, NASA announced the discovery of opal deposits on Mars! Since opal is made up of mostly water this means that Mars may have been wet for billions of years than previously thought which indicates it may have supported life.
For those October birthdays, there is 25% off opals this month.